Find answers to frequently asked questions about security systems.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How can I sign up to get an Action Security alarm system?
A: It’s never been easier to sign up for Action Security business or home security alarm system. Either call us directly at 877.815.6131 or simply click the BLUE call-to-action button found at the bottom of each page of this site to make an appointment to meet with Action Security consultant. They will have info on all the latest deals.

Q: How do I sign up to add another security system at a different location?
A: First, we’ll verify if your additional location is in Action Security area. If so, you will need to sign an additional Alarm Monitoring Agreement for the new installation. Monitoring rates and installation costs vary by location and situation. Please call Action Security Systems for additional information and to set up your additional home or business security system monitoring service.

Q: I’m an existing customer. How can I refer a friend or family member?
A: Simply visit our Customer Referral page and provide your friend’s information.

Q: Can I get additional equipment for my system?
A: Yes. Additional equipment can be purchased from Action Security representative at the time of installation or added later to meet your security needs. (Fees and restrictions may apply).

Q: Does my home need to be prewired for an alarm system?
A: No. Action Security can install both hardwired and wireless home security systems to meet your needs.

Q: What happens if I already have a system in my house?
A: Action Security can reprogram your existing system, as long as the previous homeowner is not contractually obligated with another alarm monitoring company.

Q: Can I save money on my homeowners insurance by having an alarm system?
A: Yes, some insurance companies provide up to a 20% discount on your homeowners insurance by having a security system. Please check with your insurance company for more information.

Q: How does alarm monitoring work?
A: When you activate your security system, alarm monitoring is a 24-hour, 7-day protection service. When one of your alarm’s sensors are triggered by an event such as a break-in or environmental hazard, your alarm signals are transmitted to our Monitoring Station. A highly trained Central Station Operator will activate emergency procedures, which include contacting you and dispatching emergency services.

Q: I’m thinking about switching my phone service. Will my alarm still communicate?
A: Your alarm needs a way to communicate with our monitoring center. If you’re thinking about switching, the best bet is to call us at 800.447.9239 to discuss your options. We want you to be fully informed before you make the switch.

Q: How can my alarm communicate when I have VoIP or cellular phone service?
A: The technology of today offers a variety of options for your alarm to communicate:

You can keep your landline just for your alarm system.
BRINKS can add a cellular communicator to your panel to send signals wireless.

Q: How can I prevent false alarms?
A: False alarms cost you and the local authorities money. And after enough false calls, police may begin ignoring your alarms. Protect your home, and save money and resources, by following the checklist below.

  • Always keep your emergency contact list up-to-date.
  • Secure all doors and windows before arming your system.
  • Consider who should have access to your home.
  • Make sure they know your code and how to use the alarm.
  • Pets can set off motion detectors, call us when you first get pets
  • Don’t relocate motion detectors near vents.
  • Be sure to replace your batteries—check your manufacturer’s instructions for how often.
  • Call us before you remodel.
  • Cover your smoke detectors during construction, building repairs, and major cleaning.
  • Test and inspect your system every month.
  • Call us if you think your alarm isn’t working at its best.

Q: Do I need an alarm permit where I live?
A: Possibly. Some cities and jurisdictions require home security system owners to have an alarm permit before they will send emergency personnel to your home. In some areas, it is unlawful to have monitoring service without first having a permit, which could result in fines up to $500 per dispatch. To determine if your city requires a permit, contact your local city hall or county office.

Q: How can I get one?
A: Your local city hall or county office will have the forms you can use to apply for your alarm permit.

Q: I’m moving soon. What happens to my alarm monitoring service?
A: BRINKS offers flexible move options to fit our customers’ needs. Find the option that works best for you:

Transfer your service to your new home by taking advantage of the Action Security Move Program.
Arrange for the incoming home owner to take over your current system and contract.
Transfer your contract to someone else. (See below.)
Cancel your contract by paying off a negotiated portion of your remaining balance.
Contact BRINKS at (877) 815-6131 for more information.

Q: How do I move my monitoring service?
A: Contact Action Security at (877) 815-6131 and speak with a Move Specialist (press option 2, and then option 4). We will assist you with transferring your monitoring service to your new location. Simply provide us with your new address, new phone number, and other contact information to begin service transfer.

Q: How do I schedule an appointment to move my monitoring service?
A: Our Move Specialists will schedule an appointment for a technician to activate your new service within 3 business days. Contact Action Security at (877) 815-6131. To speak to a Move Specialist, press option 2, and then option 4.

Q: How do I check the status of my move?
A: Action Security Move Specialist can verify the status of your move or connect you directly to a technician for more information. Contact Action Security at (877) 815-6131. To speak to a Move Specialist, press option 2, and then option 4.

Q: I’m selling my house. How do I transfer billing to the new owner?
A: You will need to set up a New Owner Agreement. Please contact Action Security at (877) 815-6131 for more information.

Q: Can a friend or family member take over my account at another location?
A: Yes, but certain requirements must be met by the new alarm owners. Please contact Action Security to see if the new home security alarm owners are qualified.

Q: Can you put my account on hold while I’m moving?
A: Action Security is unable to hold or place your account on “vacation” due to UL® requirements. However, if you are moving your service to a new location, a downtime credit may be applied to your account.

Q: I won’t have a traditional phone line at my new house. Can I still transfer my service?
A: Yes, in most cases you can still have service without needing a traditional phone line. Action Security uses the latest monitoring technology and equipment that can meet your needs. Contact Action Security at (877) 815-6131 and ask a Move Specialist for more information about our VOIP security systems.

Q: Can I move my current equipment into my new house?
A: Depending upon your alarm system’s compatibility with your new home, you may be able to move your current equipment with you. However, several conditions apply. For more information, please contact Action Security at (877) 815-6131 and speak with a Move Specialist (press option 2, then option 4)